The aim of this project is provide an opportunity for volunteers to experience at a organic farming in Vietnam. We have two type of farm with different styles and nature.
There is an organic farming inside a Buddhism pagoda in outskirt of Ho Chi Minh city where the monks live and take care for about 10 orphan children and about 20 homeless elderly people.
The project aims at making use of uncultivated land in the pagoda to grow vegetables which are important sources of food for all the monks, children, and people living here. Usually, almost all of their food is donated, and they only buy tofu for the meals. Having an organic vegetable garden, they can provide themselves with healthier and more diverse foods; more importantly, this garden lessens their food expense.
Farming is a new yet full of potential project .There are two kinds of farming that can be carried out here: organic vegetable farming & herbal farming.
There is another organic farm was in outskirt district or HCMC. This farm is running on professional way with the aim to promote organic & eco life style to community, as well as provide real organic product (vegetable/fruits) to community. This farm is about 5000m2 and they use technology based on software to ensure about the quality and capacity of the products.
There are 6 NO on this farm: NO pesticides & herbicides; NO planting on soil and water contaminated with agricultural chemicals; NO growth regulators; NO chemical fertilizers; NO of genetically modified seeds (GM seeds); NO preservatives.
The routine tasks on the farm:
1. Check plants regularly to find ecosystem pattern of the land
2. Field sanitation and plants healthy
3. Planning the seasonal crops
4. Use many species for intercropping, crop rotation as needed
5. Create environment for development of beneficial insects (predators)
6. Crops trap, pheromones trap
7. Measures for expelling insects (done synchronously and before the pests lay eggs)
8. Shielding vegetables in rows, or a greenhouse, membrane
9. Use resistant varieties
10. Apply insecticides of biological origin
A part from farming work, the organic farming is also used for education. Children can come to visit and learn about organic farming, eco-life and environment issues.